Minor - Reflective Statement

Over the duration of this project I felt like I was missing something, while we were away for the holidays I was prepared to make the changes needed for my film, and coming back for the 3rd year I had to move away from the pre-production premise phase and make a start on transferring those ideas into the Maya space. I was never really sure of where I was going with modelling, if it was really okay or if I was giving myself more problems to deal with in the future. However, as I modelled more and discussed my concerns and ideas in tutorials I grew more confident in modelling.

It has been a bumpy road, juggling certain tasks but it was a constant reminder that if I could at least complete one of my characters models and have them textured and rigged then doing the next one I will be more confident. After getting Morgan ready for animating, it has come to my attention that I will need to play around with more mouth shapes to exaggerate her and robins emotions more to match up to how they act out in 2D form. So I am not completely ready for animating yet, but I'd rather make sure I have everything there than have something that is half of what my characters are in animatic form.

At the very beginning of Premise I remember being asked in my first tutorial what role I would like to do in terms of the 3D animation pipeline, specifically after I graduate. Thinking back to it now I believe I answered that I'd like to fit in with a bit of everything. Currently my answer still remains with a few changes. I am not the strongest in Sound design I know that much and need to seriously improve and work on that in Major, it's not because I don't like it but I believe it's because it's an uncommon area for me, I am used to analysing visuals and knowing what draws a viewers eyes to a subject. With sound it is in a complete different category of sensory. Although, now that Toma is working alongside me as the Music Composer for this project I am sure I can learn a bit more about that area and record and edit the right sounds to go along with her music. I've only had one session with her so far but discussing the emotion and themes that I am thinking of but cant quite describe and how she manages to conjure up a piece in seconds based on little words I have provided, proves that I have made the right choice in asking her to compose for me.

Right now, I know I am going to need to knuckle down more as I need to give myself enough room for animation and rendering so Robin's model is up next for completion along with some extra rigging for Morgan. Like I said before, I felt like I was missing something, that something I believe was how I am feeling now, proud. I am proud of myself and the journey I have made so far with this project, seeing it come to life just a little bit is enough for me to feel more motivated to do more.

Overall, I am prepared for whats ahead in Major so there will be a lot of focus and tinkering going on before it is just right for animating, which scares me but also excites me!

Below are some test renders of Morgan I did to play around with her rig:



Comments