Premise - Dark room lighting experiment

Within this experiment I wanted to revisit more of the lighting that I did in previous experiments, last time I used maya software to render out a doorway light, this time I was using arnold renderer to try an find a similar way of casting light through doorways, below are screenshots of my experiment.

Camera set up

Overall set up
In the original experiment I used 2 lights, the directional light to direct the doorway light and the spotlight to extend the light onto the bed. For me, it doesn't fully communicate what I want in terms of shadow casting. So, I wanted to attempt it again in a different approach.

Original experiment - Rendered with Maya software
I am much more happy with this render as the show casting can be done through a model and not a plane compared to the last experiment, this is with a directional light so I aim to try others such as a spotlight as there are other options the spotlight has compared to a directional light.
Current experiment - Arnold renderer
There was a slight issue with the doorway lighting. Basically, I wanted to communicate the slight glow a doorway would give as light comes through, before I used an area light within maya but that wasn't as effective, so alan suggested ding a render pas with the doorway shape and taking that into after effects to do some light compositing, this showed to be very useful and something I've done before.

This experiment is important for my short film as it will help communicate a transition from one scene to the other.

Comments