What if? Metropolis - Influence Maps

Influences from the artists work
Building Exterior influences
These are my further ideas for my city, I looked into forms that were similar to what Puryear communicates through his work: curves, man made, organic, simplistic. I like the idea that it's a fusion of organism and futurism, the society is highly developed and relies on man made techniques and organic materials. I have more idea's linking to Puryears influences and the meaning behind his work, the fact that his influences has come from traditional and cultural places, such as Sierra Leone where at the time he was in the Peace Corps and he taught at the school, he was inspired by how the carpenters of the village crafted and made the things needed for the class room. His backpacking trip to Sweden above the Arctic circle, the locals whom he observed do basketry and quilt work. It gives off this sense of community and creativity and aspects of that could be brought into my city.

Location influences
For the location of my city I went back a looked at my artists background and what struck out to me was his fascination for the Scandinavian landscape, originally it was going to be based around Sierra Leone but I found that the city would fit more in the area of a Scandinavian landscape. The idea is that the city will be based on a rock bed (kinda like a mini island) on a flat plane of water, it's more like a village than a city. Inhabitants would venture out in groups to the outskirts of the water plane and into the woodlands (should look into types of wood artist uses) and gather materials. The reason I feel the buildings will fit in this sort of atmosphere is because it blends into the modern aesthetic somehow and retains that organic feel.

Comments

  1. Some lovely imagery here - so soothing and calming - I can't wait to visit! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment