Major Project - Reflective Statement

Well, this is it. My final major film, though it still needs to go through rendering production I still feel a sense of relief that I handed in. It's quite hard to reflect on what has gone on these past few months as there has been a whirlwind of changes not just for me but for everyone else on this course and all over the place. I feel like it was just a couple days ago I was just starting to animate this short, honestly the animation stage is a blur to me, even now I look at the shots and think 'Did I really do that? How?'.

Of course I cant stop myself from feeling the up most pride in my project, I find it intriguing that throughout my 3 years here I was able to use the tools and methods taught to make this film, I've always been used to digital art and traditional painting, it's great that some of those methods of mine have found their way into the concept art and visual effects for this project. I am sure that I will be making similar projects like this in the future, in fact me an some classmates are already discussing ideas of what project to do next as a small little collaboration.

Back to reflecting, thinking more about it there are so many steps I've taken to get this short to where it is. Not only animating in 3D but ncloth on top of that; along with 2D hand animation and After Effects compositing, sure on paper it does not sound like a lot but the process needed a lot of attention and focus, I think the area I struggled the most with was ncloth as it was more of a waiting process to see if Robins and Morgans hair was functioning properly, there were definitely a lot of technical errors but that was soon fixed when Alan walked me through it. I believe these tools will definitely be useful to me in future projects, I am not sure what my place will be in the art filed as I've always taken a liking to all kinds of tools and styles but with this knowledge now I believe I will have free expression and find an area I am more comfortable with.

One thing I'd like to work more on in this short is the sound design, it went completely neglected in this and I feel that it's absence in the majority of the short is causing it to lose it's immersive intent, I admit that I could've pushed it a little bit further an can really only use this time until June 15th to make it right.

A massive highlight of this project for me was bringing my close friend Toma into this, we have known each other since high school and have been very close, her musical talent is something I have admired and highly respected. During premise I always made light jokes about us collaborating for my film, until one day it actually happened and it was amazing. I can only hope viewers will enjoy her music as much as much as I enjoyed listening to them for the first time. I remember in early December after a long talk she just hopped on the piano and just started playing and it hit me, and I was just blown away and still am! That's honestly how Morgan's theme first came about, a very raw drafted piece but it was all there in the first few keys...

I think one thing I want from this project is to experience my short with fresh eyes, I don't think it's possible since I know every in and out of this short especially what it used to be in drafts, even now I can hear the very lines I did on loop and I think that's something that's gonna be with me for awhile, my one and only fear is presenting this film to viewers... I don't think I could be there and stomach it because it would be like pouring all of my thoughts and feelings out in front of strangers, however I think it will always be like that the first time, and eventually it wont feel like that anymore. My short isn't about me, well it is but it's a different narrative, so no a blue haired version me does appear at night to stop me from sleeping.

For now though, it's getting back into the project and readying it for rendering! There is a lot of folder clean I need to do to make sure everything is where it should be so hopefully it's smooth sailing from here.

Comments