Fantastic Voyage - Notes and Concepts so far



So for this project I have gone with the Cardiac System, quite a challenge for me since I am not quite good at science, but I am finding my way around it. My primary focus is how the blood travels from the heart and as it travels through the whole body it becomes de-oxygenated and reaching the right side of the heart it is then pushed to the lungs to then remove carbon dioxide and is oxygenated again and transported back to the heart.
Another aspect I could look into alternatively are the nodes of the heart and how it reacts to certain nerves and emotions e.g being surprised, though I will research further into this subject at some point during the week.

In terms of style and audience I've been looking at a lot of abstract art and traditional pieces that associate with texture in colour. I would like to communicate the simplicity of the blood circulation through shapes, colours and more Illustrative themes, Eran Hilleli's work is also a source for my style currently and I like how strong his work is through simple unique design.

For the audience, they would be at a rather maturing age (around 15 to 17) so would be interested in more serious aspects, I looked at Blade Runner 2049 and Stranger things seeing as those show themes that would be interesting. For my scenario though those sorts of serious themes and colours should only work when the Blood begins to lose Oxygen particles - Jordan suggested a morphing stage as when the Blood cells reach this point they gain more Carbon Dioxide so there could be a frantic transition of intense morphing.
I wanted to get as much ideas down as I had for the Blood cells and CO2, at the moment I have concepts of  what The Blood cells look like when De-oxygenated. I'd like to explore more shapes and ways i could communicate CO2 surrounding the Blood cell to make the morphing stage more of a challenge.

Here are some quick colour keys of a Blood vessel, trying to find what colours would fit an oxygenated blood flow and De-oxygenated blood flow. This as before I simplified the themes though, as pre-concept art I believe it could work, I just feel like it needs something without adding anything, possibly texturing? Alternatives coloured be a Maze map of the Blood vessels, It currently just looks empty right now.

Another topic I talked about with Jordan is how I would draw the heart, Necessarily it doesn't need to be a heart but a Metaphor for one, we don't even need to see it. It could be suggested by it's beating sound or it could be a Hub for Blood cells or even an Airport. Already though I like it's shape and only want to simplify it, though it would be interesting to explore other styles of how I can make it work metaphorically while still communicating it's job.

I also did a Thumbnail underneath it showing off a potential shot of what it would look like, a mixture of 2D and 3D possibly.

Comments